DUDLEY, Mass.—Nichols College recently presented a $7,845 check to the Dudley Fire Department to pay for the BullEx Intelligent Training System Trainer’s Package. This fire extinguisher training system will provide a more hands-on approach and offer a better comfort level and understanding of extinguishers.
Nichols College President Susan West Engelkemeyer, Ph.D., presented a check to Dudley Fire Chief Dean Kochanowski at the West Main Street station. She said: “Nichols College has always taken great pride in supporting the community whenever possible, and it is a pleasure to be able to assist in purchasing this training equipment that will be used to ensure the safety of students and staff not only at Nichols but at local schools and businesses as well.”
Each year, Dudley fire officials visit the Nichols campus on Center Road to teach fire safety to students and staff. Training covers cooking safety, general fire safety, and how to properly use fire extinguishers.
“The BullEx device will greatly enhance our program and give trainees a much better comfort level and understanding of extinguishers with hands-on training,” said Chief Kochanowski. “This new program directly educates the students and staff, and we can also use the device at Shepherd Hill Regional High School and Dudley Middle School as well as at the elementary schools to train staff members.
“Nichols College has been very generous to the Dudley Fire Department, and we greatly appreciate its continued support,” added Chief Kochanowski.
Nichols has made other significant contributions to the town of Dudley:
- Providing funds to help pay for equipment for the Dudley police and fire departments, including an ice rescue sled, an electronic smart board, Jaws of Life, and an additional police car;
- Funding (raised in part by the Nichols Student Government Association) toward rebuilding Dudley Elementary School’s playground;
- Funding to help the town of Dudley pay for the installation of two automatic door openers and related hardware to allow improved and easier access for elderly and handicapped individuals to the Dudley Municipal and Senior Center;
- Inviting the public from surrounding towns, including Dudley, to the annual Nichols Career Fair;
- Funding for various Dudley sports teams;
- Volunteering to paint at Dudley Middle School and clean up school yards;
- Through the Nichols Fischer Institute, offering a rich array of cultural and current events programs open to the public; and
- Helping elderly and lower-income residents prepare their income tax returns.
ABOUT NICHOLS COLLEGE
Nichols College is a college of choice for business and leadership education as a result of its distinctive career-focused and leadership-based approaches to learning, both in and out of the classroom. Founded in 1815, Nichols transforms today’s students into tomorrow’s leaders. Nichols serves students interested primarily in a comprehensive business education that includes a strong liberal arts foundation curriculum.
Lorraine U. Martinelle
Director of Public Relations and Social Media
Nichols College | Learn. Lead. Succeed.
Email: Lorraine.Martinelle@nichols.edu | Twitter: @NicholsNewsroom