Hours: Monday–Thursday, 8:30am–4:30pm
The technology you need. The support that backs it up.
In today’s workplace, technology is a given. At Nichols, you’ll have it. We decided years ago that giving our students access to technology on campus was part of our job. That’s why we were one of the first colleges to offer computers and software to all our students.
We back it up with technical assistance and training. Technical support is available by email, online and even in-person. In your first year at Nichols, you’ll also attend a computer applications class to familiarize yourself with computer applications and gain technological knowledge.
Computer won’t compute? Software being quirky? Can’t get your email to send and receive? Online and in-person help is available from Nichols IT, located on the bottom floor of Conant Library.
Residence Hall Services
The IT Department also provides support for the following technologies in residence halls:
- Cable TV
- Internet Connection
- Nichols Email
- Registering your computer on the campus network
- Standard setup information for gaming consoles
- Wireless Internet access in select locations
PC Purchase Plan
Every year, Nichols IT staff researches and selects the best value computers on the market, with the specific needs and interests of our students in mind. Then we create a partnership that allows students to purchase online directly from the manufacturer at an affordable price. Students may choose from several laptop and desktop models identified by our on-campus technology experts, and customize their systems to meet their needs.
Bison PC Program - Fall 2014
Nichols has partnered with GovConnection and Lenovo to provide a computer system with the durability and performance to take students through their four years of study. In addition, the Bison PC Program provides unlimited technical support to Nichols students. The PC purchase transaction is strictly between GovConnection and the student.
Below are the benefits of participating in the Bison PC Program:
|Service||Non-Lenovo Systems||Bison PC Program|
|Free 30 Minute Support||Yes||Yes|
|Register Computer on Nichols Network||Yes||Yes|
|Basic Virus Removal||Yes||Yes|
|Troubleshooting Operating System Issues||No||Yes|
|Troubleshooting Hardware Issues||No||Yes|
|Full System Recovery||No||Yes|
|Drop off Service||No||Yes|
Nichols Recommended Lenovo T440s ThinkPad Touchscreen Ultrabook
Our recommended choice of ThinkPads is Lenovo’s T440s, a new generation ultrathin and ultralight 14" business Ultrabook, weighing less than 4 lbs. It offers outstanding performance, full functionality, and long battery life. Standard configuration specifications are:
- Windows 8 Professional 64 bit Operating System
- Intel Core i5-4300U Processor (2 cores, 1.90GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
- 14.0" FHD (1920x1080) color, anti-glare
- 8 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3L SODIMM
- 500GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
- 3 year ThinkPad Protection (covers accidental damage (spills and drops)
We know what applications are required for classes and make sure they’re available.
- Office 365 (cloud service) – All Nichols students have an online Office 365 account, that includes email, contacts, calendar and OneDrive (online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Microsoft Office ProPlus 2013 - If needed, the student may download a Nichols licensed copy of Microsoft Office ProPlus 2013 to their computer at no charge. Windows, Mac, and mobile versions are available.
- Anti-virus – An Antivirus software is required for all student computers (Windows and Mac) in order to access the internet via the Nichols network in the residence halls. If needed, Nichols provides a downloadable licensed Sophos Antivirus (Windows and Mac) in late August from the Nichols College ResNet (Residential Network) web site at no additional charge.
- Conant Library
- Davis Hall classroom building
- Academy Hall classroom building
- Full WiFi coverage in residence halls
- Dining Hall
- Fels Student Center
As a student, you’ll have a Nichols email account set up on Microsoft Exchange Server. Every student’s email address is email@example.com. For example, John Adam Smith’s email address would be John.Smith@nichols.edu.
Technical support is available by email, online, and in person. Help is available from Nichols IT, located on the bottom floor of Conant Library. You can also contact the Help Desk by calling 508-213-2206 or emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org.